Sunday, October 6, 2013

Week 4 Discussion CJYO 2013 / Student Quotes

Quote by Christina Montes / CJYO 2013 Student

Responding to environment as character discussion.

"I believe that environment is crucial to a person’s upbringing. It plays a huge role in their development. The first thing that I think of when I think of environment is Family. Growing up, no matter where I was I was always surrounded by family and that is what I remember most. I grew up In Chaparral, NM which is a very small rural area on the outskirts of El Paso, TX. City-data.com reported the area of chaparral as 38.8 sq. mi and the population of approximately 14,631. There were not a lot of trees or green areas on the contrary we were surrounded by desert and dirt. We could see the mountains and our nearest neighbors were always like a block away. We lived on an acre of land where we had a basketball court and volleyball net.  I remember being 14 years old and planting a tree in our front yard which my dad said someday would provide shade to my children... he was right. I love taking my children back to where I grew up and showing them how different my environment was from their own. Where I grew up, we were always running around outside with all of our friends and having get together and cookouts. Nowadays all of our kids are too scared to go outside they spend the majority of their time playing video games and being on the computers. I moved to El Paso because I thought it would be better to raise my children but now I wish they had been able to enjoy all the wonderful things I got to enjoy growing up... if I could write a chapter about growing up in my environment, it would be called “My Home” because no matter where I go or how I far I travel, that little city in New Mexico will always give me the feeling of “Home”."

No comments:

Post a Comment