Monday, October 28, 2013

Week 7 Discussion CJYO 2013 / Student Quotes

Quote by Rosa Baquera / CJYO 2013 Student

Responding to Hearts & Hands notes**

The note that mostly stood out to me was note 5 on Chapter 13 page 161.  “If you think of the primary function of art as a spiritual-emotional expression, and you take away the capacity for people to express what they really have to express, you start to force the violence into action,” said Michael Meade.  “What do people think is coming through rap music?  The otherwise unexpressed rages of a culture, the disappointments, the deep angers.  I mean, people have it all mixed up.  They think that when you hear it, you’re hearing a problem.  It’s a way of the culture saying the artistic imagination, the musical songs of these children, don’t count-that’s a musical mistake.”

This note stood out to me from the rest because of the type of music and the art environment I grew up with.  During my teenage years I remember listening to rap music and being scolded because I was listening to “marijuano’s” music or in art class my friends would draw sketches of murals and they wouldn’t be acknowledged as true art.  Many people still see rap music as problematic music when it actually is very lyrical and poetic.  Once I had an assignment where I had to find a poem and talk about the meaning behind it.  I chose a song by Lauryn Hill. Songs and art were and still are a great form of expression.  I can recall many friends who just like Luis used art as a way of bettering their lives.  Music and dance kept me and most of my friends out of so much trouble.  I believe that those who think that rap music is bad do not understand the concept behind the lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment